We are working to develop a robust educational program for the community. Below we have provided a series of links on how to get more information:


How do I find my buddies from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc?

The U.S. Air Force Historical Research Agency has a web site with a page devoted to tips on locating military personnel. The site presents many options so be sure to scroll down to find the best one for your circumstance.

How can I obtain information on Air Force Aircraft, Units, Space, Special Topics, and Weapons?

The Air Force maintains a comprehensive collection of fact sheets on these subjects. Visit the Air Force Link Fact Sheets page to find out more. For more specific information on sites visit the Air Force Link Sites page.

How can I obtain historical and heraldry information on the USAF?

Questions can be sent to one of the following agencies:

United States Air Force Historical Research Agency

( This office is the repository for heraldry information)
600 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6424
Phone: (334) 953-2966
DSN 493-2966

Air Force History Support Office
500 Duncan Ave Box 94
Bolling AFB, D.C. 20332-1111
Phone: (202) 404-2264
DSN 754-2264

For the Department of Defense and other Military Departments, historical files are stored in repositories under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Information from records maintained by NARA is available to the public. For a nominal fee, NARA will reproduce documents of interest. Their address is:

National Archives and Records Service
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20408

How can I obtain copies of my military records?

Individual military departments, including the Air Force do not maintain files or records pertaining to individuals no longer on active duty. When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty, or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center (Military). The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of the United States Government.

An individual’s complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin (parents, spouse, or children). Limited information (such as dates of service, awards, and training) is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual’s privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number, or present address.

If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. Files at the Records Center are maintained as historical records only and are not updated to reflect current data on the former service member. The address for the National Personnel Records Center is:

National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Blvd
St. Louis MO 63132
Phone: 314-538-4243

For individuals compiling family histories, NARA provides assistance to those interested in genealogy. NARA normally charges a nominal fee for research and reproduction costs. Their address is:

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20408

How can I obtain Air Force photos?

Photos are available on Air Force Link Photos in digital format.

Air Force Photography, pre 1941/1954 to 1981
National Archives and Records Administration Still Picture Branch (NNSP)
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park MD 20740-6001
Phone: (301) 713-6660
Fax: (301) 713-7436

Air Force Photography, World War II to 1953
National Air and Space Museum Archives Division (MRC 322)
Smithsonian Institution Washington, DC 20560
Phone: (202) 357-3133
Fax: (202) 786-2835

General Military Aviation Photography
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
Washington DC 20540
Phone: (202) 707-6394

Defense Visual Information Center
Attn: Customer Service
1363 Z Street Bldg 2730
March ARB CA 92518-2013
Phone: (909) 413-2550

Where can I obtain military memorabilia such as patches, uniform items, mugs, etc ?

The Air Force can’t provide official uniform items, but several private companies exist to meet your needs. The following list does not constitute endorsement.

8th Air Force Museum Association
ATTN: Gift Shop
P.O. Box 75
Barksdale AFB LA 71110



(Sine the USAF was born in the ARMY here is a listing of agencies that can assist in answering some Frequently Asked Questions)
Center for Military History

Military History Institute

Center for Army Lessons Learned

Combat Studies Institute Historical Services

How can I find out about a specific unit insignia? Write to:

Director, The Institute of Heraldry, 9325 Gunston Rd., Bldg. 1466, Rm. S-112, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5579

A website link for the Institute of Heraldry is:

How may I obtain historical operational information about a particular Army unit?

The National Archives has historical operational information on Army units. For military information preceding the year 1941, please contact the National Archives One at (202) 501-5390. For military information from 1942 and later, please contact the National Archives Two at (301) 713-7250.

I’m doing research on units participating in various conflicts in the Army’s history. Where can I get more information on military history?

There is a wealth of information on military subjects at your library, or you might want to check the Center of Military History


Where can I get copies of my records?
Active Duty (Enlisted)


Contact the National Personnel Records Center at:
Civilian Records Facility
111 Winnebago Street
St. Louis, Missouri 63118-4199

Military Records Facility
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis Missouri 63132-5100
Phone: (800) 318-5298

At minimum, please include the service member’s complete name, social security number and/or serial number, and the requester’s return address. Website is:

Here is a comprehensive list of where soldiers can obtain their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF)http://

How do I order my microfiche?

How may I obtain a copy of my military medical record? 
Medical records are maintained at one of 58 regional Veterans Administration (VA) centers around the country or at the national Veterans Administration Records Management Center in St. Louis. Call (800) 827-1000 for information on your regional VA Center. The national VA Records Management Office can be reached by calling (314) 263-2800.

How can I locate a former soldier or buddy from an old unit? 
The Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits releasing the last known address of former Army members without their written consent. However, the agency identified below will assist your search by forwarding your letter to the service member’s last known address.

To pursue locating a former Army soldier:

– Write a letter to the soldier. Place this letter in a sealed and stamped envelope, including your full name and return address.

– Write a letter addressed to the National Personnel Records Center requesting their assistance with your search. Be sure to include the service member’s name, serial number and/or social security number, and date of birth if available.

– Place your envelope addressed to the service member AND the letter to the National Personnel Records Center in ONE envelope. Address this envelope to: National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5200. Please note current addresses for discharged service members are not maintained at the records center – this center only has the service member’s last officially recorded address. Letters to service members the record center can not identify or who are known to be deceased will be returned to you.

For POW/MIA issues, go to:


U.S. Army Research Institute

Combat Studies Institute

Am I eligible for military decorations:

For a list of our sponsors click here.